Y2W2 - Frankfurt am Main

Well, this week started out normal enough but midway through the week, something monumental happened...yes, Bailey became toothless. Not completely of course, but those wobbly teeth finally wanted to be free. Within a day, she was two teeth short, and 4 Euros richer which she of course spent right away.



We are in full swing with the UEFA Euro2008. It is the Fuβball (soccer) Championship. It happens every two years opposite the World Cup. It is huge here. This year the games are being played in Austria and Switzerland. Everyone has flags on their cars and houses of which team they are supporting. We are able to get the games via the Internet, so Greg is elated! In case you want to be even more festive though, all of the Biergartens have big screen TV's outside broadcasting the games. It really is quite a fun atmosphere. We are trying to get Greg to one of the matches, we'll see if we can make it happen. We were told that many Germans don't fly flags because German Nationalism was seen as kind of scary after WWII. So, it is so much fun to see all of the German flags flying proud.

Thursday I had the pleasure of going to Book Club. We moved it up a week to accomodate some conflicts which meant I only had a few days to try and read the book. The book that had been selected at the previous months bookclub (which I missed) was "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop. My first thought was that I really didn't want to read a book about a girl escaping her polygamist plight and the more I thought about it, I decided maybe it was an opportunity to clear up some misconceptions about mainstream Mormonism. I did not finish the book, but read about half by the time the book club rolled around. I was surprised to find that it was interesting and enjoyable. Some of the other ladies in the book club found it heartbreaking, but I found some parts rather humorous. For example, can you imagine taking six wives and 32 children on vacation to San Diego Zoo? I know what our family trips are like with only five people. In any case, I found it to be a better read than I was expecting.

Saturday, we had a Relief Society Temple Trip to the Frankfurt Temple. It was really nice. Greg and the girls drove and met me after the session so we could sight see Frankfurt a little bit. We walked the town a bit, and ended up going to the Städel Museum. Wow, what an impressive collection! I was amazed at the Renoir, Monet, Ver Meer, Rodin, and Degas works they had there. The girls were also extremely well behaved which always helps the experience. We walked along the Main River, got an ice cream cone, and sat in a central platz and just relaxed, taking in a bit of Frankfurt, listening to the Church Bells of the many nearby Churches, and watching several wedding parties going in and out of the Churches.



Sunday, we had the pleasure of having a rather long video conference with my mom and Greg's parents together.

Comments

Popular Posts