Forty-Seventh Week in Germany

This week I added a couple of sidebar videos of non-English songs we like. One is in German and the other is French. Enjoy! And, we still need some more votes for cookie dough.

Greg was in the U.S. again this week "on business." He was frequenting establishments like Grizzly Peak, Real Seafood, Andiamo, etc. As usual while he is gone, we have some sort of crisis we have to deal with - this was no exception, but if you don't mind I'd rather not go into details. Lets just say there are some cultural differences that I will never get used to here in Germany.

The girls had a really hard time when Greg was gone this time. I think it was due to the fact that they would've liked to be going to the U.S. for a week as well. They had to settle for making a shopping list of things they wanted Greg to bring back. The list included goldfish, teddy grahams, twizzlers, which they were happy to open up and eat right away. Nana and Grandma also threw in a few things for the girls which are always well liked and welcomed.

On Thursday, I had to give a presentation in German about the USA at Enrichment. Greg actually did much of the work putting the presentation together for me before he left. Then, my German teacher helped me tweak the wording so it was more "German." It went well but I felt it was somewhat anti-climatic. The reason being that I followed a presentation about Sierra Leone, where this Sister went into detail about the 11 years war. If anyone has seen the movie "Blood Diamond" or has seen clips of it, that is on the same subject. It was quite emotional with not very many dry eyes in the place. Then, a Sister from Hong Kong presented. It was incredibly interesting. After these, it was my turn. Since America is such a vast place, I tried to hit the Landscape, Economy, Government, Professional Sports, Cuisine, etc. Then I focused on things I thought made the United States unique and things I missed. Somehow I don't think it was as riveting as an 11 years War but at the same time, I had such an appreciation for what America has to offer.

Okay, a funny aside. As I am typing this, Bryn is getting every pair of dress up shoes we own and trying them on my feet. I am feeling a bit like Anastasia and Drisella (from Cinderella) when they try to put on the glass slipper. I keep telling her that none of them will fit, but she keeps trying. Maybe she is a hopeless romantic. She finally brought me my own shoe.

On Saturday, Greg came home. Yay! We spent Saturday just spending time with dad. Then, Saturday night, I really wanted to go out somewhere for dinner. We ended up going to a Mexican Restaurant called "Poco Loco." Due to the jet lag, Greg didn't really feel like going out but I reminded him of all of the establishments he visited recently, and that the next day was my Birthday, and we went. I just had to get out of the house for a dinner. It was great. I had really been craving Mexican. It was more South-Western American Mexican, but spicy and good none-the-less.

I think that I have finally reached the age that I don't mind if we just let the Birthday go by without mentioning too much about it.

Comments

Jill said…
Happy Birthday! Kids will never let your birthday go! I hope it's a good one for you!
HW said…
Even though you don't need it, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it was great.

Popular Posts