Forty-Fifth Week in Germany

Great News! The best news of the week is that I'm having twins. Just Kidding! The best news of the week is that we were able to recover our 2003 and 2004 pictures off of our old hard drive. This was a huge relief to me. Thanks again to the miracle workers that provided this service.

If you have been reading the blog for a while, you will notice that our blog has a new design. We knew it was a little silly to have a lighthouse background in Germany and I wanted something a little more personal but I didn't know how to go about it until last week. Greg was looking at some of our other friends' blogs and said, "Hey, why don't you do this." I just stared at him. I said you have to be able to write html code and stuff like that. I don't know how to do that. With some patience and Internet tutorials, I am pleased to say this is what we came up with. I am sorry to anyone who was trying to look at it this weekend. It probably changed a hundred times as we would plug in different things just to see what the outcome would be. At the very least, it is a little more personal. The cobblestone along the sides is actually a picture of the cobblestone in our driveway.

As by way of an update, Avery decided not to go back to her dance class. I told her it may be a good idea to give it another chance before she makes up her mind. However, she gave a very convincing argument as to why she needed to take dance class at school instead. I agreed.

We found out last week at Soccer that Bailey has to move up a class when they start playing games in the summer because of her age. I'm not sure how she will take this as Maxim will no longer be in her class. We'll see what she decides to do.

One of the highlights of the week was Saturday when we went to Solingen to the Klingen Museum. It is a Scissor and Knife Museum - really cool. They had swords, knives, silverware that dated back to 1600 B.C. up until now. One sword was bigger than 10 feet. That was Avery's favorite. There was also a metal peacock, made completely from scissors, knives, and excess metal. As we were looking for the Museum, we passed the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Knife Factory which was also very cool.

Another thing that made an impression on us about this town was the numerous amount of slate shingled houses (not just the roof but the whole house). We haven't really seen this anywhere else in Germany, at least not that many in one town. Here is an example.

Another highlight was that our Church had General Conference this weekend. It was soooo nice to be able to enjoy Church talks in English, I got so much more out of it. The time change is a bit of a killer though. The first session started at 6:00pm and the second session started at 10:00pm. I appreciate being reminded that the work we do is good but there is always more we can do to be better.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Ellyn,
I found you through Andrea.
Now that knife museum looks like a place my boys would love!
I enjoy being able to see how you all are doing.
Take care!

Popular Posts