Twentyseventh Week in Germany

As it is officially Christmas time in Germany, it is quite the magical place. There are Christmas markets everywhere now, most of them started this weekend. This week was once again a busy one. I'm going to stop writing that, you can just assume that most of our weeks are busy.

Let's see, Monday was a normal day. After school we had another dance rehearsal for the upcoming talent show. I think the dance is coming along quite nicely. Avery and Bryn were playing with Olivia's brother and sister while the girls were rehearsing. It worked out well. Bryn got sick that night. It was not pretty. But, she actually had a good nights sleep which was a blessing.

Tuesday, Bryn was still looking a little pale in the morning and I was nervous about what the rest of the day was going to have in store. It was Bailey's dance recital after school and I didn't want to miss it. Bryn did fine throughout the day, so we were able to make the recital. You will probably have to enlarge the picture by clicking on it to see Bailey. I was quite impressed by the fact that they did six dances and have only been taking classes since September. After the recital, we had to hang out for a bit until my parent/teacher conference started with Bailey's teacher. She had nice things to say which is always good to hear. Then, the girls were so good during the conference that I told them we could go to McDonalds on the way home. We went through the drive-thru for the first time. My German teacher assured me I was ready. It was a disaster. She didn't understand a word I was saying so we had to pull around and order at the window. I said exactly the same thing and she understood that time. I later told my German teacher what I had said and he said my grammar was correct so I don't know what the problem was. We hurried home and ate our McDonalds, gather a portable DVD player and a movie together and headed for the Church. I had a RS Presidency meeting and Greg had a meeting there at 8:00pm. So, we planned on meeting there at 7:00pm. Greg and the girls watched a movie during my meeting and then we went home, and Greg stayed for his meeting. It was a long day.

Wednesday seemed like it would be a day of rest, which I guess it was for the most part. I was asked by the PTA to help out with the Christmas Market that they have at the girls school every year. They put me in charge of the Children's craft. So, part of my job was to do the advertising for the craft. I started to work on the sign. I was feeling pretty good about how much I got accomplished but was having some issues with the glue choices I had at home. Bailey had girl scouts after school and after we picked her up, I was quite tired. I made cheese tortellini for dinner which did not go over very big as Avery told me earlier that she wanted "taco bell" soft taco supremes.

Thursday, I was planning on taking Bryn to Toddler group but she was still having some sickness issues. We had to stay for a bit in the morning to have a conference with Avery's teacher, again fairly good things. Bryn and I went home and she proceeded to build with the blocks while I made cookie dough. I put our rock hard butter into the mixer, and I added all the other ingredients (which I have done a million times before). When I began to mix it, the rest of the creamed ingredients flew out of the bowl all over me and my kitchen. After about a half hour of cleaning up the kitchen, it was time to go pick Avery up from school. I had my usual German lesson in the afternoon. We picked Bailey up from school and of course I made "taco bell" soft taco supremes for dinner.

Friday, thank goodness it is Friday. I am still having glue issues. I've tried several different glues at this point and nothing is working which is making me nervous as I was relying on someone else to supply the glue for the kids craft on Saturday. Friday morning was nice. Bryn and I just hung out. Then, we had to take Avery a lunch to school because I had to stay and work with the fifth grade girls who had signed up to help me with the craft. However, when we got there, several of them said they wouldn't be able to help after all and we decided to just wait until Saturday and learn on the job. After school the girls and I went to the big grocery store because due to Bryn's sickness issues, we had gone through diapers lightning fast this week and I thought they might have glue as well. Turns out we were right. Getting everything you need in one stop in Germany...Priceless. We did dinner, spent some time together as a family, and when we put the girls to bed, I did a couple of the crafts to use as an example on the gingerbread man sign I made earlier in the week.

Saturday morning was quick. Quick breakfast, last few touches on the sign, and Bailey and I were out the door. She insisted on coming with me for the set-up portion as well. We set up our stuff for about an hour before the Market started. Bailey and Olivia had a great time spending money on all kinds of stuff at the market, while I manned the Children's craft in the basement from 12:00 - 4:00pm. It was fun. We had several Christmas Cd's playing in our room which was nice and festive. Greg showed up at around 2:00pm and took the girls to see Santa. Unfortunately, we didn't have the camera with us but we took a picture of Bailey's painted face when we got home. They had good waffles with powdered sugar and cream which they brought me. Bailey also brought me some snacks and hot cocoa throughout the time. We were all pretty tired when we got home. But, we rested for a bit, and we were off again.

That evening we went to Siegburgs Christmas Market. We heard it was really cool to go to in the dark, because it is one of the medieval markets, where they use candlelight to light the booths and their wares are handmade and from historic German markets. It was really cool. As "Wow" as I thought the Bonn Market was last week, this one was really amazing. We bought an oil lamp that is reminiscent of the ones I think the ten virgins may have used in the Bible. We bought some food of course which was different and really good warm brot (bread). We watched a blacksmith making something that we couldn't tell what it was, and there were several stages set up where Medieval entertainment was happening, musicians and jugglers mostly. Avery fell asleep in the stroller at the market so we figured we should probably get home.




Sunday, we went to Church and what an amazing Ward we have. I have been letting myself get stressed already this Christmas season and after I heard the RS lesson today and the testimonies of our members, I really had to take a step back and realize that by allowing myself to get stressed about presents and children's crafts at Christmas markets, I'm denying myself the true feeling of Christmas. I felt the spirit so strongly today, and I realized that that is the feeling I want to have throughout the Christmas season, and ideally all the time. I wish for you to feel the Spirit as well.

Also, as a side note for all of those that read this that can read German, I apologize for leaving out umlauts and the double s thing, it must be driving you crazy. It is not from a lack of knowing that they go there, it is just that I don't know how to insert them on the blog site. Sorry.

Comments

gwen said…
Hey!

I've somehow lost your new email address. Could you please send me an email with your new home address? It's that time of year again...:-) Thanks!

Gwen

Popular Posts