Eighteenth Week in Germany

This week we didn't really go anywhere of interest. It was a really restful week but also one of some reflection. I have been in what I call a "cranky funk" lately. I have had so much on my mind and trying to keep the house clean, the girls doing what they are supposed to be doing, plus re-learning how to do everything, I have not given myself much time for reflection. I decided this week that I have been keeping busy with the things that need the most urgent attention but aren't necessarily the most important. Plus, Bailey made a comment at Euro-Disney that Mom is always cranky. While I think that is a huge generalization on her part, it did get me thinking about it.

I was also inspired by several blogs that I finally had a chance to sit down and read this week. Let me say first, that I have not been giving my husband his due. By that I mean I have not been appreciating him the way I should. He is a wonderful man who is spiritual, but still fun. And, his hard work affords me the ability to stay home with my girls, raise them the way I think they ought to be raised, and have so much fun experiencing all of their super funny moments (and not so funny moments). That is something Greg only hears about from me. I certainly have not been giving him the credit he deserves.

The worst part about this crankiness is that it has unfortunately been rubbing off on other family members. So, this week I decided "No More Crankiness!" Call it a new rule in the family. We have used that phrase several times this week and it seems to be working. I just forgot that all the things I was worrying about were not so important, and the really important things got put on the back burner. Also, I realized that I was trying too hard to do everything myself, instead of asking for help.

The blessing in all of this is that I realized it when I did, with a little help from Bailey. I'm glad we didn't let several years slip by being consumed by the cranky funk. Several people have said that they like hearing about all the places we are going and seeing. But, I felt like it was getting a bit too travel logish (if that is a word) so I'm going to try a bit more balance between what we are doing and what we are feeling as well. Sorry if this post disappointed anyone, but I felt like I had to write it. Thanks to all of those other bloggers out there who are using this medium as a way to inspire people to be better. And, to those who have said they are living vicariously through us...I just have one thing to say, COME VISIT!!! We would love to have you. Plus, I'm not cranky anymore. Bonus!

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Well, you definitely inspired me with your post! You made me realize that I am doing the same thing, putting the not so important things first (even though they are still good things). I am going to try and be better about priorities. Keep writing, I know everyone loves to read it, whether it is a travel log, or just family life. :)
k said…
Good job. Definitely a self-aware thing to do. I might even say "sehr gut"!
Becky said…
I am living vicariously through you because I'm an old bore and you're having awesome adventures! Great post, though. I ran into your neighbor, Renee, at a Halloween costume shop the other day. She somehow remembered me from the fondue party! We were saying that we missed you and you should hurry up and come home!
HW said…
I loved this Ellyn! I need to get out of my cranky funk too. I think you're great and I like BOTH kinds of posts.

Popular Posts